The Nantucket Historical Association’s 1800 House located at 4 Mill Street was the 16th property on island permanently protected by a NPT preservation easement. The easement is placed on exterior features and restricts further development of the property. Historic research indicates the house was constructed between 1801 and 1807 by housewright Richard Lake Coleman, who built the structure according to a traditional floor plan and scale characteristic of New England domestic architecture of the period. In 1807 Coleman sold the house to Jeremiah Lawrence, “hatter” and High Sheriff of the County of Nantucket, who occupied the house with his wife and four children until his death in 1827. It remained in the Lawrence family until 1859.