6 Flora Street

An NPT House History

1817

6 Flora Street
6 Flora Street Courtesy Nantucket Historical Association6 Flora Street 1952
Courtesy Nantucket Historical Association

As Nantucket entered the nineteenth century, a road simply referred to as a “highway” but known today as Orange Street, extended south from Main Street through the Fish Lots and into New Town, part of the Monomoy Shares. In 1817, Franklin Swain sold a plot of land on the east side of that highway to Shubael Brown, a mariner, for $221.00. Swain, the father of eight children, soon to welcome two more, had settled on a twentyseven acre farm in Polpis.