Maltiah Nye and Rescom Taber, both carpenters, purchased a tract of land on the northwest end of “Pearl Street” in 1804, and divided it—Taber took the end parcel at the corner of Pearl and Liberty, and Nye took the parcel east of Taber. Nye built his home at 43 India and lived there for almost sixty years. He was not a native Nantucketer, and in fact his origins are unclear, but he was on island by 1796, when he married Hannah Hayden, daughter of Prince Hayden and Rebecca Stubbs of Nantucket. Maltiah and Hannah, both twenty-one years old, had five children between 1799 and 1808, the two youngest undoubtedly born in the new house.
Hannah Nye died in 1836, and Maltiah, with second wife Mary Worth, lived at 43 India Street until 1860, when he sold the house to retired master mariner James Codd, owner of 14 Orange Street, where he resided. Codd traded the house to widow Almira Rawson in 1864 in exchange for a house she owned, and Almira lived there until she died in 1891, bequeathing it to her nephew William P. Hillar.