8 Ash Street

An NPT House Marker

Benjamin Barney

1765

8 Ash Street
8 Ash - Courtesy Nantucket Historical Association

8 Ash c. 1920
Courtesy Nantucket Historical Association

Luckily for owner George M. Jones, the Great Fire that was raging through the neighborhood on July 13, 1846, stopped short of the eighteenth-century house he had purchased from the heirs of Benjamin Barney Jr. in 1832. Barney, a cooper, had acquired the land at this location in 1765, and built the house before the Revolutionary War. It originally had a large central chimney and traditional winder stairs, but was remodeled in the first half of the nineteenth century with four end-wall chimneys and a larger stair hall. A two-story rear ell was added after 1834, and was reconfigured by the current owners to include a kitchen with dining and sitting area on the first floor and a needlework studio on the second floor.